As the rates of substance abuse in Texas and the country spike, the dangers of addiction become increasingly more apparent. In Travis County alone, more than 300 people in Travis County died of an accidental overdose in 2021.1 Addiction treatment centers in the county are vital for helping people overcome addiction and get on track to a healthy future. High-quality addiction treatment plans often feature nutrition therapy programs to help people get past the dietary problems that come with addiction.
Finding a nutrition therapy program near you can be an important step in the recovery process. At The Arbor, our nutrition therapy program in Georgetown, TX, we provide services to help people struggling with substance use disorders. Our experienced nutritionists can create individualized meal plans that provide the nourishment needed for a strong recovery. We also provide education on healthy lifestyle habits, such as proper portion control and eating a balanced diet.
The Impact Addiction Has on Nutrition
After a long-term addiction, many people struggle to return to a healthy life—even if they’ve gotten sober. Some of the side-effects of poor nutrition people in early recovery may experience include:
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies – Substance use affects the body’s ability to process and absorb essential nutrients, leading to deficiencies.
- Malnutrition – People with addiction tend to skip meals and eat unhealthy foods, resulting in poor nutrition.
- Weight loss or gain – The combination of a poor diet and chemical changes caused by drugs or alcohol can lead to drastic weight gain or loss.
- Osteoporosis – Long-term substance use can cause bones to become weak and brittle.
- Anemia – Addiction can lead to a lack of iron, which is necessary for healthy red blood cells.
- Low energy levels and fatigue – Nutritional deficiencies can lead to high levels of lethargy and exhaustion.
- Poor digestion or digestive problems – Substance use can cause the digestive system to become inefficient, leading to chronic stomachaches and other problems.
Nutrition therapy is a key part of recovery from addiction. With proper nutrition, people in recovery can start to feel better physically and mentally, which will help them stay on track with their sobriety goals.
What to Expect in a Nutrition Therapy Program
A nutrition therapy program will focus on helping people struggling with addiction heal their bodies and minds. The program will be individualized to each person’s needs. A registered dietitian will work with the person to create a plan that meets their unique nutritional needs. The plan may include supplements, such as vitamins and minerals, to help correct any deficiencies. The dietitian will also teach the person how to make healthy food choices and cook nutritious meals.
Why Get Nutrition Therapy in Georgetown, TX?
Georgetown, TX, just outside of Austin, is known for its culture and good weather. The Arbor in Georgetown is an excellent place to get inpatient or outpatient treatment for addiction. We offer a variety of programs that are tailored to meet each person’s unique needs. Our team of experts includes staff who can develop a custom nutrition plan for each person in our care. In addition, we offer a wide range of amenities that promote relaxation and healing, such as yoga and meditation classes, outdoor activities, equine therapy, and more.
Find Help at The Arbor
Nutrition therapy is an important part of addiction treatment. It helps people struggling with addiction heal their bodies and minds. If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, please reach out for help. The Arbor is here to provide comprehensive treatment that will meet your unique needs. Contact us today by calling 844.413.2690 to learn more about our programs or schedule a tour of our center.