Maybe you know something isn’t quite right in your gut, but you have a hard time believing it. Most of the time, that “gut feeling” we get is correct. Trusting in yourself, having a good sense of intuition, is something that is necessary for your recovery. Recovery is going to be difficult if you don’t fully trust yourself and that gut feeling. Intuition is the instinct, and it’s time we all start learning how to trust it. Continue reading for more information about trusting your intuition.
Intuition Comes in Many Different Forms
“Intuition is the gift of guidance that can show up in many forms, including an inner voice, a gut feel, a sixth sense, visions, signs or signals,” says Annika Rose, author of “Make your intuition work for you” for In The Moment magazine. “Think of it as an inbuilt compass, directing you on where to go and what to do next.” Intuition is a powerful thing. It can guide, advise, and protect you, says Rose. If you’re feeling stressed, your intuition can help you calm down. If you are feeling scared, your intuition can help give yourself that push of faith to complete a task.
A Quick Quiz
Rose put together a quick quiz to figure out how intuitive you are and if you are good at trusting yourself, or need a little extra work. Take the quiz below and then find out your answer!
- “Your best friend changes this evening’s plans at the very last minute. How does this make you feel?
- I feel disappointed when my plans are disrupted; sometimes I feel annoyed.
- I don’t mind sacrificing my plans and doing what makes others happy.
- I try to remain open and curious about what tonight holds for us.
- How did you go about choosing the place you currently live in?
- Research — it was within budget and had great potential.
- Convenience — it was available and easily accessible.
- Instinct — I felt like it was the right place for me to be.
- You meet someone new for the first time. Would you say that you are a good judge of character?
- I don’t trust anyone until I have a real reason to.
- I trust people a little too easily and as a result, I have been deceived in the past.
- I feel that I pick up good or bad vibes easily, and act accordingly.
- How clear are you on your life’s purpose?
- To be honest, I’m still trying to work that one out!
- I’m not certain — it changes all the time!
- I know exactly what I’m meant to do and why I am here.
- Do you listen to your gut and what it is trying to tell you?
- My gut lets me know when I’m hungry, and that’s it!
- I can’t always understand what my gut is trying to communicate with me.
- I always listen to my gut, even if it doesn’t seem rational to do so.
- You’ve bought tickets to a festival in three months’ time. Do you:
- Start planning who to see and stick to a tight schedule.
- Ask friends to recommend who they’d go and see.
- Be spontaneous and go with the festival flow once you’re there.
- How do you make big decisions in life such as a change in career?
- I need plenty f facts, figures and expert advice to make sure it’s the right choice.
- I get stressed so I try to avoid putting myself in that situation in the first place.
- I get quiet and trust my inner wisdom will guide my next steps.
- Have you ever sensed something good or bad was about to happen, then it did?
- It’s hard to say. I don’t think I’m really in tune with things like that.
- I don’t totally trust my judgment and sometimes I’ve regretted it later.
- Yes — this happens to me all the time!
- How often do you take the time to be still and meditate?
- I don’t get the chance. I’m so busy and always juggling multiple tasks.
- Sometimes — I try to create space at least once a week.
- Regularly — I have a dedicated and regular practice and I am committed to keeping to it.”
- Mostly As: “You’re yet to unleash the power of your intuition.”
- If you got mostly As try practicing going with the flow of your gut a bit more often. You don’t trust yourself enough yet. Fortunately, you’ve still got time!
- Mostly Bs: “You can pick up on the feelings of those around you.”
- If you got mostly Bs, you are doing a decent job of trusting your instincts. Instead of questioning your intuition, try to go for it!
- Mostly Cs: You trust your gut to guide you where you need to go.”
- If you got mostly Cs, you’re doing a great job. Keep up the good work!
Arbor Behavioral Healthcare is here to help you trust your gut when it comes to your recovery. We can help. Call us today at 844-413-2690. We can’t wait to speak with you!