Substance use disorder, often referred to as substance abuse, is a severe health issue affecting millions of people worldwide. This disorder is characterized by an individual’s inability to control or abstain from using one or more substances, leading to serious health, social, and economic repercussions. The most commonly abused substances in the United States include alcohol, prescription medications, cocaine, heroin, and marijuana. The causes of substance abuse are varied and complex, but the prevalence of this growing public health crisis cannot be denied.
The Arbor Behavioral Healthcare understands the causes of substance abuse and how to treat substance abuse disorders and co-occurring mental health conditions that often accompany substance use. Our Georgetown, Texas, substance abuse center is ready to help residents of the Austin metropolitan area break the cycle of addiction. Call 844.413.2690 today to learn about our programs and services.
5 Causes of Substance Abuse
Understanding the causes of substance abuse is crucial in devising effective treatment strategies. Here are five common causes:
- Genetics – Research suggests that an individual’s genetic makeup can increase their vulnerability to substance abuse. Certain genes may make some people more prone to addiction than others.
- Environment – Factors such as peer pressure, family dynamics, socioeconomic status, and exposure to drugs can contribute to substance abuse. For instance, individuals who grow up in homes where drug use is normalized are more likely to develop substance use disorders.
- Mental health disorders – Mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) can lead to substance abuse as individuals may use drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism.
- Early use – Studies show that individuals who start using drugs at an early age are more likely to develop substance use disorders later in life.
- Lack of family involvement – A lack of strong familial bonds or support can lead to substance abuse. Individuals with strong family ties are less likely to turn to drugs or alcohol.
More than one of these can occur in combination, thus increasing the risk factors leading to substance use disorder and the need for substance abuse treatment.
Substance Abuse Treatment Therapies
Several evidence-based therapies and holistic approaches can help individuals overcome substance abuse. These include:
- Equine therapy – This therapy involves interaction with horses, which can help individuals build trust, improve communication, and develop emotional awareness.
- Art therapy – Art therapy uses the creative process to help individuals express emotions, reduce stress, and promote self-awareness.
- Yoga therapy – Yoga can help individuals manage stress, improve physical health, and promote mindfulness, which are beneficial in overcoming substance abuse.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) – EMDR is a psychotherapy technique that helps individuals process traumatic memories, reducing their impact and helping to manage triggers for substance use.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – CBT helps individuals understand the relationship between thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. It can help individuals develop healthier coping mechanisms and change negative thought patterns that contribute to substance abuse.
Seeking professional addiction treatment offers numerous benefits, including an increased likelihood of long-term recovery and improved physical and emotional health. Professionals can provide personalized treatment plans and continuous support, which are crucial for recovery.
Contact The Arbor Behavioral Healthcare for Substance Abuse Treatment
If you or a loved one is struggling with substance abuse, do not hesitate to seek help. The Arbor Behavioral Healthcare in Austin, Texas, has a team of dedicated professionals who can provide effective and proven support and treatment options.
We offer residential and outpatient treatment programs and supportive aftercare programs to help you maintain sobriety. Contact The Arbor Behavioral Healthcare at 844.413.2690 or online for the first step towards recovery today. Your journey to a healthier, happier life can start now.